Dr Mark Mobius has spent more than 40 years working in the emerging markets. He has been a key figure in developing international policy for emerging markets. In 1999, he was selected to serve on the World Bank’s Global Corporate Governance Forum as a member of the Private Sector Advisory Group and as co-chairman of its Investor Responsibility Task Force.
Today, Mark Mobius is a member of the Economic Advisory Board of the International Finance Corporation (IFC). He is also a member of the supervisory board of OMV Petrom in Romania since 2010. He has also served as a Director on the Board of Lukoil, the Russian oil company.
He received his Ph.D. in Economics and Political Science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1964. Before that he received Bachelor of Fine Arts and Master of Science in Mass Communications from Boston University. He also studied at the University of Wisconsin, University of New Mexico, and Kyoto University in Japan.
As executive chairman of Templeton Emerging Markets Group: He was with Franklin Templeton for more than 30 years, where he headed the emerging markets team until 2016. In 1987 he became manager of the Templeton Emerging Markets Fund, listed on the New York Stock Exchange. During his time with Franklin Templeton his Emerging Markets Group expanded assets under management from US$100 million to over US$40,000 million and launched a number of emerging market and frontier funds focusing on Asia, Latin America, Africa and Eastern Europe. In addition to open-end and closed end mutual funds he launched a successful series of emerging market private equity funds. Prior to joining Templeton, Dr. Mobius was Chief Executive of International Investment Trust in Taiwan, the first international investment company in that country managing the NYSE listed Taiwan ROC Fund.
Mark Mobius is a recognised global emerging markets expert, appearing frequently in the media including global networks Bloomberg, CNBC, MSNBC, and CNN and has received numerous industry awards, including:
- Life Time Achievement Award in Asset Management (2017) Global Investor Magazine
- 50 Most Influential People (2011) Bloomberg Markets Magazine
- Africa Investor Index Series Awards (2010) African Investor
- Top 100 Most Powerful and Influential People (2006) Asiamoney
- Emerging Markets Equity Manager of the Year (2001) International Money Marketing
- Ten Top Money Managers of the 20th Century (1999) Carson Group survey
- Number One Global Emerging Market Fund (1998) Reuters Survey
- First in Business Money Manager of the Year (1994) CNBC
- Closed-End Fund Manager of the Year (1993) (Morningstar
- Investment Trust Manager of the Year (1992) Sunday Telegraph
He has written several books, including “The Little Book of Emerging Markets”, “Trading with China”, “The Investor’s Guide to Emerging Markets”, “Mobius on Emerging Markets”, “Passport to Profits”, “Equities – An Introduction to the Core Concepts”, “Mutual Funds-An Introduction to the Core Concepts” and “Mark Mobius: An Illustrated Biography.”
- + 44 (0) 20 3384 3664